Monday, September 9, 2013

A New Plover in Town


          When I first pulled in the driveway where Hannah was waiting for me, rocking a Change is Simple t-shirt, I knew that this would not be the traditional internship. Dressed in my blouse, slacks, and heels, I followed Hannah through the patio to the office, slightly stumbling from my heels catching in the cracks of the stones. The first thing my supervisor, Patrick, said to me was, “You are way too overdressed.” Although I expect to never live that one down, I have a feeling that by the end of this semester internship I will be cracking jokes like the rest of this little family.

            My name is Meghan Perkins and I am one of two new interns that Change is Simple has welcomed for the fall. I am an English major and as such am a dedicated upholder of the Oxford comma. Before college, I never thought of myself as much of a scientist, but a general education plant biology course got me hooked on all things Earth, and so I acquired an Environmental Studies minor.

Meghan on the rim of the volcanic crater of Mt. Ngauruhoe on the North Island of New Zealand

            Many of my friends are interning at publishing houses, but I could not see myself in a place that did not address something for which I was so passionate. So when Hannah first sent out the Change is Simple email to the Endicott College student body, I knew it would be the perfect place for me to include both my interests. Patrick could clearly tell how excited I was about getting involved with Change is Simple during our skype interview last spring semester when I was studying abroad in New Zealand. He probably felt he had to accept me as an intern so as not to break my heart!           

            So when I met with the Change is Simple crew, looking more comfortable –and somehow more professional – than me in their company shirts, I realized I was not the only one pumped to be there. The atmosphere here is amazingly fun, welcoming, and energetic. Every one of them is genuinely passionate and incredibly devoted to the mission of Change is Simple. My goal for this semester is to follow their brilliant examples, sharing my enthusiasm, and hopefully, inspiring others to make a difference in the environment and society.

            Thank you to the Change is Simple team for giving me this awesome opportunity. I won’t let you down! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home